Today we had beautiful weather and why did I make soup you may ask.. It had rained for the last 3 days and we were waiting for the sun to shine bright and the weather reports did give us some hope of sunny days. But then when the weather is so gorgeous who can resist the temptation to be outdoors. Also it was my son's spring break as well. We had a wonderful day and went for a walk and to soak up the sun. This reminds me of Sheryl Crow's " Soak up the Sun" song, its one of my favorites...
This explains how I had enough time to make this Lettuce Soup with some home baked fresh Corn Bread for dinner. The Corn Bread was contributed by my DH and my older son who wanted to help with dinner. My toddler was our tester. So tonight's dinner was a joint venture.
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 2-3 gloves of garlic chopped
- 4-6 cups Vegetable stock / water
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Heat butter in a pan. Saute the onions and garlic till golden brown.
- Add the shredded lettuce and saute for a minute.
- Add about 3-4 cups of stock/water and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Now puree in a Blender and transfer it back to the pan and add the remaining stock/water. Stir it well. Let it simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
- Season with Salt and pepper and add the heavy cream. Let it simmer for about another 2-3 minutes. Add the lime juice.
- Ready to serve. This recipe serves 4. We enjoyed our soup with spicy Corn Bread. Stay tuned for the recipe of home baked corn bread in the next post.