Vada Pav is a popular street food of Mumbai. You could also call it the Indian Burger. Its basically Batata(potato) Vada(fritter shaped like a ball) sandwiched between the pav (bread). Every time when I'm on vacation to Mumbai, India, I always have a list of food and snacks I must eat . Needless to say, Vada Pav always tops the list. Also you will find it everywhere I guess all across Maharashtra. You could also eat them as is without the bread/pav and then its called Batata Vada or Bonda.
- 6-8 medium sized potatoes -Boiled and mashed
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped(optional)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic finely chopped (optional)
- 1 inch piece of freshly grated ginger
- 5-6 green chillies finely chopped
- 4-5 fresh curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups gram flour/chickpea flour/ besan
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- oil for frying
- pavs or burger buns.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When they crackle add the curry leaves.Next add the onion and saute till golden brown. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for about 2 minutes. Add the green chillies, mashed potatoes, turmeric powder and salt and mix well. Add the cilantro leaves. Allow the Vada mixture to cool. This recipe should make 18-20 Vadas. When the mixture is cold make 18- 20 lemon size balls.
- Now lets prepare the batter which would be the outer covering for the potato ball . In a bowl combine the besan flour, salt, red chilli water and about 1 cup water and make a thick batter.
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Now dip the potato balls in the batter and deep fry till they are golden brown. Now you could even serve them as is with green chutney or ketchup. This could be served as an appetizer. This is the Batata Vada.
- To make a Vada Pav. Slice the pav into half and spread your choice of the chutney (green cilantro chutney, date-tamarind chutney, or hot garlic chutney). Place one Vada between the Pav. Ready to be served. Some also like fried green chillies along with it. Its truly divine. Hope you enjoy this Mumbaiya Vada Pav.