Seviyan Kheer is a great Indian dessert and I absolutely love it. The best part is, it is so easy to prepare and yet tastes divine. Traditionally in India, Seviyan Kheer is associated with the celebration of Eid-ul-Fitr. In Southern part of India its also known as Semiya Payasam and its made during the festivals of Onam (harvest festival of Kerala) and Vishu (New year). For a person like me who loves to celebrate Life itself and since food is a great way to celebrate.So grab a bowl and spoon and lets Celebrate LIFE.!!!!. For those of you who have made new year's resolution of staying away from desserts and anything sweet......Please do not be mad at ME.
- 1 cup vermicelli broken into small pieces
- 5 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 green cardamons -crushed
- 1/4 cup raisins and chopped nuts(almonds, cashews, pistacchios)
- 2 tbsp ghee or unsalted butter
CAUTION: Its going to be very hard to restrict youself to just one bowl/helping of Kheer. If you intend to share it with your loved ones..Now would be a good time to serve Seviyan into their respective bowls ...before you indulge in tasting your share..Don't tell me I did not WARN YOU !!!! How would I know,well I'm telling you from experience.
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan and fry the rasins and the chopped nuts. Keep it aside.
- Next in the same pan, roast the vermicelli till golden brown. Do this on a medium low flame. Keep it aside.
- Now add milk to the pan and bring it to a boil. Add sugar and the crushed cardamons. Let the milk simmer on a low flame for about 15 minutes.
- Add the fried rasins and nuts and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. All the various flavors of the nuts will be infused in this milk.
- Now add the roasted Vermicelli kept aside. Let this simmer for about 5-8 minutes.
- Your delicious Seviyan Kheer is ready to serve. This kheer can be enjoyed hot or cold. Leftovers if you have any tastes just as good. This kheer does have the tendency to thicken up. If that happens, do not panic just add some warm milk to it, adjust the sugar and ENJOY.
Alright gals and guys , if you could all excuse me please, Let me help myself to another bowl of Seviyan.
Now its Award Time .....
Vinolia my dear blogpal from Akal's Saappadu
has been so kind and generous and has showered her love in the form of this award. Do check out her blog if you have'nt and like me You will have a pleasurable and enriching experience. Her pictorial step by step instructions are her main asset , which makes her recipes so easy to follow combined with her beautiful Clicks.
Siddhi my dear blogpal from Cooked Dil se
has been a sweetheart and generous to consider me worthy of this award. Do check our her blog and you will say this with me..
She has Cooked Dil se
and We'll appreciate it Dil se... Her passion shows in her cooking and I can vouch for her ..that its Cooked Dil se(from the heart)...
I have been tagged before and you could check it out here
. Also kindly check the rules of the Kreative Blogger Award here
NOw if you are still reading this post..Here are the rules for the awards..The 1st 7 readers who comment on today's post are the lucky recipients of the Kreative BLogger award as well as the I love your Yummylicious Blog Award.
Now from the 8th to the 20th lucky readers who comment on this post will take home (to thier blog)- the beautiful - I love your Yummylicious Blog Award.