What more Can I say, the name says it all. Lets say its , GOODNESS in a Bowl.!!!! . No, 16 Bean soup is not a typo, I really mean it . It does have 16 - sixteen beans in it. How would I know, of course I counted the listed ingredients at the back of this Goya- 16 bean soup Mix packet. When I made this soup last night, I kept thinking ,how come I did not come across this nutritional powerhouse earlier. But its Never too late. So what are you waiting for, grab youself this wonderful medley of beans and see(taste) for yourselves.
- 2 cups Goya 16 Bean Soup Mix
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic finely sliced
- 2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp red crushed pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock/water
- 4-5 cups water
- Soak the 2 cups of 16 bean soup mix in about 4-5 cups of cold water and keep it overnight.(You could do the quick way too by soaking them in boiling water and keeping them aside covered for about 45 minutes to an hour).
- Drain and rinse the beans . This is how they look after a goodnight Soak...
- Now In a large saucepan combine beans with about 4-5 cups of water and salt and cook covered until almost cooked. For those of us who are aware of the power and speed of a pressure cooker, pressure cook till almost cooked.
- In the meanwhile heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. Add the bay leaves. Add the chopped onions and garlic. Saute till golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and fry for about 2-3 minutes. Add the red crushed pepper. Add about 4-5 cups of vegetable stock/water. By now, the beans would have been cooked, add them. Adjust the salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat,cover and simmer until beans are tender.
- Your 16 bean soup is ready to serve. We enjoyed our comforting soup with garlic bread.
- This recipe serves 4.