On this Sweet Note, Wishing Every one a happy, healthy and Prosperous New Year.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground anise
- oil for deep- frying
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- cinnamon sticks to decorate
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and ground anise into a mixing bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar. ( If you wish you could add 2 more tablespoons of sugar at this point).
- Place the egg and milk in a bowl and whisk it well. Melt the butter.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture gradually into the flour and stir constantly until well blended. Now add the melted butter. Mix well to make a soft dough.
- Knead this dough for about 10 minutes until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces and roll into balls. Slightly flatten each ball with your hand. Then with a floured handle of a wooden spoon, make a hole in the center of the ball.
- Heat the oil for deep -frying. Heat the oil , until a cube of dried bread when added to the oil, floats and then turns golden brown in 30-60 seconds. Fry the Bunuelos until they are puffy and golden brown, turning them once or twice during cooking. As soon as they are golden brown, lift them out of the oil using a slotted spoon and lie them on paper towels to drain off excess oil.
- Mix the remaining sugar with the ground cinnamon in small bowl. Add the bunuelos, one at a time, while they are still warm, toss them in the mixture until they are lightly coated and serve immediatley . Decorate with cinnamon sticks.