This time I have tried a new recipe from my friend Sangeetha's blog. She has a wonderful collection of recipes and her awesome presentation and step by step instructions make it so easy to follow her recipes. You could check out her recipe here. I have used the recipe as is, I did not want to mess it up. NoBody messes with the PLum cake.( I must admit though at times I'm tempted to tweak the recipe a bit). Another reason being, I had promised to get this great cake for the New year's eve party hosted by one our friends and so I baked this cake exactly as per Sangeetha's recipe which was a big hit. They all loved this plum cake and it was their first time they had tasted our Indian Plum cake.
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 3/4 Butter at room temperature
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Tutti Frutti
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 1/4 cup Cashew nuts (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Almonds and Walnuts (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Dates (chopped)
- 1 cup Rum/wine or enough to soak the fruit
To prepare the Caramel syrup:
- 1/2 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon water (to soak the sugar for the caramel)
- 1/2 cup Water ( to prepare the caramel syrup once the sugar has been caramalized)
To prepare the Spice Mixture :
- 1 tsp Caraway seeds
- 1/4 tsp Powdered Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Powdered Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp powdered Ginger
- 1/4 tsp powdered Cloves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degree C and prepare a 9 inch cake pan by greasing it or line with parchment paper.
5. Now we'll Separate egg yolks from the whites. Whisk egg yolks with vanilla.
6. Cream butter and sugar till creamy and combined well.
7. Next add the egg yolk and vanilla mixture little at a time, alternating with a little (about 1 tablespoon) of the sieved flour and combine till smooth.
8. Now add 1/2 cup caramel syrup and spice mixture and beat thoroughly till well combined.
9. Next add the remaining flour, slowly and gently fold in with a wooden spoon.
10. Drain the soaked fruits and add them to the batter and mix well again.
11.Whisk egg whites till it forms peaks and gently fold into the cake batter till well combined.
12. Now pour this batter into the prepared cake pan, filling it till half the pan.
13. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the center of the caket comes out clean.
14. Remove from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes and invert them onto wire rack and let it cool completely.