Ney Payasam is a very delicious dessert. This is my MIL's recipe. 'Ney' means ghee/clarified butter..so this dish does have lots of it. But once you taste it its divine and you would want t o forget counting your calories just for that day...lol. Mostly at our in-laws place its prepared on auspicious days and on birthdays.
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 1/2 cups jaggery
- 1/2 cup ghee/clarified butter
- 1/4 cup cashews and green raisins
- 1 -2 tbsp thinly sliced coconut pieces
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup water
- Wash rice and pressure cook with 1 cup of water about 2 -3 whistles till its soft.
- Now take a thick bottomed pan and melt the jaggery in 1/4 cup water on medium heat. When the jaggery has all melted and comes to a boil, add the cooked rice and keep on stirring for about a minute. Now you have to keep adding the ghee 1-2 tsp at a time and stir it well. Keep doing until you have used all the ghee and soon the payasam will start leaving the side of the pan. This is the indication its done and time to remove from the heat.
- Now heat 1 tsp ghee and fry the cashews till golden, next fry the raisins till they puff up and last fry the bits of coconut till golden brown.
- Add to the Payasam. Next add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Your Ney Payasam is ready to serve.
- This recipe serves 4. Its best enjoyed when its warm.