There can never be Too much of Ginger . I just love ginger in everything. Even my tea has little bit of freshly crushed or grated ginger. So that led me to make this Adraki Daal/Dal.
1) 1 cup Dhuli Urad Dal
2) 1 cup tomatoes chopped
3) 5-6 green chillies slit
4) 1/4 cup ginger cut into juliennes
5) 2 tablespoon Cilantro/Coriander chopped
6) 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
7) 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
8) 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
9) 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
10) Salt to taste
11) 2 tablespoon butter/ghee
12) 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Wash the dhuli Urad dal in a pressure cooker and add 4 cups of water ,turmeric and Salt. Pressure cook for about 4 whistles or until Dal is cooked. If you do not own a pressure cooker you could boil this dal covered with 6 cups of water until cooked. Pre soaking this dal for atleast 1/2 hr will reduce the time to boil this dal.
2. Heat butter or ghee in a thick bottom pan or Kadhai. Add cumin seeds. When they crackle add ginger and fry for about 2-3 minutes and then add tomatoes and green chillies. Fry for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Now add red chilli powder , garam Masala and fresh cilantro and keep frying till the oil leaves the masala.
4. Add the boiled dal .Add lemon juice and it simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
5. Ready to serve. This dal goes well with any Indian Bread - Parathas, Naan,Kulcha, Phulkas.