Borscht also borsht or borshch is a soup of Ukrainian origin that is popular in many Eastern and Central European countries. There are numerous variations for preparing Borscht. Beetroot is the one main Ingredient which is common in all the different varieties of Borscht.
Since Beetroot has so many health benefits I am always happy to use it in my recipes. It has a bunch of antioxidants which help fight diseases. Its a great source of fiber. Also said to have anti-carcinogenic properties in the red coloring matter. Also drinking beetroot juice helps lower blood pressure and also helps the digestive system.
1) 2 cups Beet cut into julienne strips
2) 1/4 cup Carrots cut in julienne strips
3) 1/4 cup Potatoes cut in julienne strips
4) 1 cup Cabbage finely shredded
5) 3/4 cup onions finely chopped
6) 1 cup tomatoes finely chopped
7) 2-3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
8) 2 1/2 cups chicken stock/vegetable stock/Water
9) 2 tablespoon butter
10) 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
11) Salt and black pepper to taste
12) Sour cream for the garnish
13) Dill freshly chopped (optional)
1) Heat butter in a pan. Add onions and garlic and saute till golden brown.
2) Add the cabbage and fry for about 2-3 minutes.
3) Add the Chicken stock/vegetable stock, beets, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes and Vinegar.
4) Season with salt and pepper.
5) Bring it to a boil and cook covered and allow it to simmer for about 30-35 minutes .
6) Serve hot and garnish with a tablespoon of sour cream and freshly chopped dill.