What do split Moong dal and Split Urad dal have in common...Yeah, you got it they are both split. So I thought why not combine them both and let them be happy. I was trying to play matchmaker to the dals(lentils). Not that there's anything wrong with being Split or Single. The result was amazing, you get one Zayekedar Dal.
- 3/4 cup Split Moong Dal (with the green husk/Chilka)
- 3/4 cup Split Urad Dal (with the black husk/Chilka)
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1" piece of ginger chopped
- 1 Jalapeno pepper chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin-cilantro powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- salt to taste
**You could use 2-3 small green chillies slit lengthwise instead of Jalapeno pepper.
- Wash the lentils/dal and add 3-4 cups of water , turmeric powder, chopped ginger and salt. Pressure cook until cooked.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan/kadai . Add the cumin seeds, when they splutter add hing(asafoetida). Immediately add the chopped onion and garlic. Saute till they are golden brown. Add the chopped tomatoes and Pepper.Fry for about 3-4 minutes until the oil leaves the masala(or until the tomatoes are well blended). Add red chilli powder, cumin-cilantro powder. Mix well. Add the boiled dal . Bring it to a boil and let it simmer on slow flame for 2-3 minutes .
- Your Zayekedar dal is ready to serve. Serve with rice or any Indian bread of your choice. Garnish it with fresh Cilantro leaves and serve it along with a lemon/lime wedge.
****This dal does have a tendency to thicken, so add more water depending on whether you are going to serve with Rice or Indian bread.