Dal Makhani is very nutritious . Its also called " Maa ki dal" . My mom used to make this when we were kids when the weather got a little cooler. Making this dal brings back childhood memories. Now I want to make this for my kids. This dal also reminds me of the dhaba food. The slow cooked food which was simply delicious.
This is my mother's recipe. I'm happy to share my Maa ki dal with you.
- 1 1/2 cup Whole Black Urad dal
- 1/2 cup Chana dal
- 1/2 cup Rajma
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4-5 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger chopped
- 2-3 cloves
- 4-5 black peppercorns
- 4-5 green chillies slit
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/2 teaspooon Cumin seeds
- pinch of hing(asafoetida)
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- freshly chopped Cilantro for the garnish
- Combine Black Urad dal, Chana dal and Rajma with water and soak it overnight. Now if you are pressed for time you could do the quick substitute for soaking. Soak these dals in boiling hot water for about 30 -40 minutes. Keep it covered.
- Now pressure cook the mixed dals along with salt, turmeric, chopped garlic , ginger , cloves ,peppercorns and about 5-6 cups of water. Cook till dal is cooked . I would say about 6-7 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add Cumin. Once Cumin splutters add hing. Add the onion and saute till golden brown. Add the tomatoes and green chillies and fry till the oil leaves the masala.
- Add red chilli powder . Mix well. Fry for about a minute or two and add the boiled dal mix. Bring it to a boil. You could add a little water as this dal thickens quickly. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes. This is a slow cooking dal preparation. The slower you cook the tastier it gets. Add Garam Masala ,butter and the chopped Cilantro. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Ready to serve with Cumin (Jeera )Rice , Parathas, Phulkas , Naan or Kulcha . It also tastes good with garlic bread.