Potato and Eggplant/Aubergine/Brinjal is an easy dish to prepare and goes well with any Indian Bread. Now Eggplant is one vegetable which I find where either people love it or just can't stand it. I belong to the category of people who can't have enough of it. How can you not fall in love with the beautiful purple color. Also I love colors and love to be surrounded by them , so you guessed it right , I'll always have Eggplants at home..though I'm the only one who eats them...sad. But I do keep on trying new recipes so my kids and my husband can eat a little more of this beautiful vegetable. So far the only recipe they love is Baingan ka Bharta..(because you really do not see any baingan..its all mashed up..poor Baingan, lost its identity by the time its on the table.) I'll soon post that recipe when I make Baingan Bharta, till then enjoy this Aloo Baingan Ki Subzi.
- 6-8 small eggplants unpeeled and cubed
- 2 medium size potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2-3 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 2-3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin-cilantro powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, when they splutter add the chopped onions and garlic. Saute till they are golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and slit green chillies. Fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin-cilantro powder and salt. Add the diced potatoes and eggplant. Mix it well.
- Cook covered on medium heat until the vegetables are almost cooked. (You could add a little water about 1/4 cup , many a times it will cook in the tomato gravy itself).
- Now cook uncovered till fully cooked.
- Ready to serve. Garnish with fresh Cilantro.