Home | About Me | Recipe Index |

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Aloo Baingan Ki Subzi - Potato and Eggplant in Tomato gravy

Potato and Eggplant/Aubergine/Brinjal is an easy dish to prepare and goes well with any Indian Bread. Now Eggplant is one vegetable which I find where either people love it or just can't stand it. I belong to the category of people who can't have enough of it. How can you not fall in love with the beautiful purple color. Also I love colors and love to be surrounded by them , so you guessed it right , I'll always have Eggplants at home..though I'm the only one who eats them...sad. But I do keep on trying new recipes so my kids and my husband can eat a little more of this beautiful vegetable. So far the only recipe they love is Baingan ka Bharta..(because you really do not see any baingan..its all mashed up..poor Baingan, lost its identity by the time its on the table.) I'll soon post that recipe when I make Baingan Bharta, till then enjoy this Aloo Baingan Ki Subzi.

Ingredients:
  • 6-8 small eggplants unpeeled and cubed
  • 2 medium size potatoes peeled and cubed
  • 1 tomato chopped
  • 1 red onion finely chopped
  • 2-3 green chillies slit lengthwise
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp red chilli powder
  • 1 tsp cumin-cilantro powder
  • salt to taste
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
Preparation:
  1. Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, when they splutter add the chopped onions and garlic. Saute till they are golden brown.
  2. Add the tomatoes and slit green chillies. Fry for about 3 minutes.
  3. Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin-cilantro powder and salt. Add the diced potatoes and eggplant. Mix it well.
  4. Cook covered on medium heat until the vegetables are almost cooked. (You could add a little water about 1/4 cup , many a times it will cook in the tomato gravy itself).
  5. Now cook uncovered till fully cooked.
  6. Ready to serve. Garnish with fresh Cilantro.

21 comments:

  1. Itz my favorite combination too.Sounds really easy to prepare too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum, fabulous ingredients..great combo..makes me drool,looks delectable..this will make a delicious maincourse with some rice and pappad :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. i never tried these together,easy and yummy recipe...happy Pongal to u and family...Dolly,aaj bete ko chutti tha kya?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy Combination! I loveee it :) Happy Pongal to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful combo or subzi..looks so inviting and yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its my fav combination..looks tempting and yummy dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is my go-to comfort food! looks great and so tempting! Looking forward to your baigan bharta recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice click dolly,simple and delicious subzi and perfect with roti.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice combination dear..Gravy looks yummyyyy....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this subji with both rice and roti .I too love brinjals

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUP! It is good I guess..... Because it look so... I 'm not into baigan..... I hate the king...
    My hubby loves it with rice as well as rotis.... So I just prepare for him... I will try this for him, of course.....

    Ash...
    (http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Truly a hit combination. To eat mundane eggplant is to have it with interesting potatoes and add a few tomatoes. The curry looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Baingna bharta and identity loss was funny. I know what you mean i love them and my husband does not. He likes the bharta too..isnt it crazy
    ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so tempting, great recipe.I am also waiting for your bharta

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm Mmmm!!! That looks so delicious and it sounds really good. I'm a big fan of eggplants too and I've never had enough of it. I'm always looking for eggplants recipes, yours is very interesting one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not a big fan of this veggie, but I love to cook them...sounds crazy, huh..Maybe it's the color, as you said :D This looks delicious and you are tempting me to try another dish :-)But I like Baingan bharta..infact I have some baingan ,waiting for that in the fridge :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey nice sabzi dolly...i love potato n eggplant combi...we make it often...next tym i vl try with ur recipe

    ReplyDelete