"What's for Breakfast Mom...?" I think for a moment as I'm really saturated with Pancakes and Waffles and want something different today. My younger one is the picky eater of the family. Also he has a fixation of sorts on Pancakes and Waffles. I wanted something which was quick, easy and healthy. I quickly blurt out , "Poha is for breakfast today.!!! I hear "Yay !!! " and see a little happy dance. They both love Poha. Glad that we go that figured out - as I always believe planning a menu is the hardest job executing it, not that hard.
As I'm getting the ingredients ready for Poha, I see a lonely Zucchini and really feel sorry for it. I pause for a moment and decide to use that in the Poha as well. I just cut of the stem and the bottom of the Zucchini and grate it. So this was one of the 'on the spur of the moment' kinda recipe. A sneaky way to add the Zucchini as both my kids don't really care for it much. As for me I just love it. At the end of it all when my kids went for second helpings, I was happy and I might have done a happy dance as well..Not saying I did but just might have...
Now traditionally where I come from, that is Maharashtra (Mumbai), this dish is made with onion called Kaande Pohe or with potatoes called as Batate Pohe and it has peanuts in them.Today's recipe does not take much time, just grate the zucchini and wash the Poha in a colander and set it aside.
The ingredient list may look a bit long but believe me when you set them all up its done in a jiffy. If you don't believe me , just give it a try and let me know..I'll be waiting to hear from you.
- 3 cups thick Poha washed *
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 jalapeno chopped **
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1-2 dry red chillies(optional)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- olive oil /vegetable oil
- 2-3 tbsp lime juice/lemon juice
- freshly chopped Cilantro
- salt to taste
* Poha - also known as flattened rice, beaten rice, Aval, pressed rice.
** Instead of Jalapeno you could use 2-3 chopped green chillies.
- Heat oil in a saucepan or Kadai. Add the mustard seeds. When they crackle add cumin seeds, curry leaves, dry red chillies and cashews. Sauté for about a minute on medium flame. Add the grated ginger. Now add the zucchini, peas, jalapeno. Mix it well. Sauté for about a minute or two. Add the turmeric powder. Next add the washed Poha. Mix it well. Add salt. Take it off the flame. Add the lime/lemon juice. Garnish with freshly chopped Cilantro. Ready to serve. Enjoy this with a cup of hot Masala Chai.