This is a delicacy of Gujarat. Khaman Dhokla is a snack which could very well make an awesome breakfast or have it with your evening tea. If you have guests coming over and want to make something which is quick, easy and delicious- think no further , this is the snack you should make. I made this for breakfast today and my kids and hubby loved it. Not to mention I was the most happiest as I was craving for these for quite some time and today was able to make them. Now, if you want a piece of this soft, spongy and delicious Khaman Dhokla, what are you waiting for..go ahead make them as soon as you can and enjoy.
For the Batter:
- 1 cup besan/chickpea flour/gram flour
- 1 tsp ginger - green chilli paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 3-4 green chillies slit lengthwise.
- In a bowl mix together chickpea flour, yogurt, water, turmeric, salt, ginger-green chilli paste and oil. Mix it well and make sure there are no lumps. (At this point you are adding all the above Batter ingredients except ENO. - this will be added just before you are ready to steam your Khaman Dhokla.)
- Heat some water in a pressure cooker or steamer. Grease a deep plate/thali/container which should be able to fit into the pressure cooker/steamer with the lid being covered. Keep it aside.
- Now to the above Khaman Dhokla batter, add the most important ingredient- Eno fruit salt. Mix it well. Eno salt acts as a fermenting(Khaman) agent and instantly ferments the batter. Immediately pour the batter onto the greased thali. Cover and steam cook for 12 -14 minutes. (If you are using a pressure cooker close the lid without the whistle ). Check if done by inserting a tooth pick or knife in the center of the dhokla. If it comes out clean , then its done. Take it off the heat and let it cool.
- In the meanwhile heat oil in a small pan/kadhai. Add the mustard seeds. When they crackle add the sesame seeds. Add the curry leaves and the slit green chillies. Fry it for about half a minute. Take it off the heat and pour it over the Khaman Dhokla. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro. Now cut the Dhokla into squares or diamonds. Serve it with green cilantro chutney, tamarind and date chutney or ketchup.