|Escarole and Red Lentils|
The inspiration for this preparation was Palak dal (Spinach Dal). Since I'm always excited to try out new recipes and combinations, this combination was put to the test and this dal was an instant hit at our house.
|Split Masoor dal - Red lentils|
- 1 cup split Masoor dal /red lentils
- 1 bunch of Escarole chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 4 green chillies slit
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic freshly grated
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch of hing / asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin-cilantro powder
- 1/2 tsp amchur powder/dry mango powder
- 3 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
- Wash the dal. Wash and chop the escarole. Pressure cook it with 4 cups of water, salt and turmeric till cooked.
- For the seasoning/Tadka - Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds. When they splutter add hing. Add the chopped onion and saute till no longer get the raw smell. Add the grated ginger-garlic and fry for about 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and slit green chillies. Fry for about 2 minutes and add red chili powder, cumin-cilantro powder and amchur powder. Fry till the oil leaves the masala. To this add the cooked dal and escarole and bring it to a boil. Adjust the seasoning and let it simmer on low heat for another 2-3 minutes.
- Your Escarole Wali Dal is ready to serve. This goes well with rice or any Indian bread of your choice.
- This recipe serves 4.