Phirni is a North Indian dessert prepared by using just rice, milk and sugar. It has a creamy texture almost like custard. For a dessert with such minimum ingredients and easy preparation, the taste is just awesome.
For me it is special as I grew up eating Phirni. It reminds me of my childhood and brings back beautiful memories. Even now when I visit my parents(India), my dad always will remember to get some Phirni for me. Its mostly served in earthern bowls/clay pots and that imparts a beautiful earthy flavor to this Phirni.
I just needed some comforting and a little pampering for myself. So had to really make this dessert. I can say this, if you have never tried this dessert, you taste it just once and I'm sure you will be hooked forever...
- 4 cups/1 quart/1 litre whole milk
- 1/4 cup rice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 10 almonds slivered
- 10-12 pistachios chopped
- Soak rice in about 2 cups of water for about 1 hour. Now drain the rice and grind it with as little water almost to a grainy texture.
- Take a thick bottomed pan and add milk and sugar. Mix it well and bring to a boil. Now add the freshly ground rice slowly stirring continuously as you do not want any lumps to form.
- Keeping it on medium flame stir until it starts to thicken. Almost takes 15-20 minutes.
- Now add the cardamom powder , slivered almonds and pistachios and mix well.
- Get it off the flame and pour it into the serving bowls.
- Garnish with almonds and pistachios. Chill it for a while and serve. (When you chill it, Phirni will thicken a bit more). Enjoy !!!!