Happy Dussehra to all my readers...
Also taking this opportunity to wish my dear brothers a Happy birthday... Both my brothers have their birthdays in October..R's was on October 13th and V's birthday is today October 18th.. I love both of them dearly and miss them. May God bless them both and I'm so thankful to God for this awesome Gift !!!
Without further ado let me get on with the recipe...
- 1 cup black chana/ Black chick peas
- 1 large red onion finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes pureed
- 1" piece ginger
- 2-3 green chillies
- 4-5 black peppercorns
- 4-5 cloves
- 1" piece of cinnamon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin-cilantro powder
- 1 tsp amchoor powder(mango powder)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
* I made a paste of ginger and green chillies.
- Soak the black chana in enough water and keep it overnight.
- Pressure cook the black chana with about 4 cups of water, salt, turmeric, cloves, black peppercorns and cinnamon, until cooked.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add Bay leaves. Add the onions and saute till golden brown.
- Next add the ginger/green chilli paste. Fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree. Fry for about 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the red chili powder, cumin-cilantro powder, amchoor powder, garam masala. Fry till oil leaves the masala, about 5 minutes.
Now add the cooked black chana along with the liquid. Bring it to a boil. Let it simmer on slow flame for about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro. Serve it with hot puris with a side of sliced onion , sliced tomatoes and a wedge of lemon ...Enjoy... !!!!
- This recipe serves 4.