Wishing all my readers a happy Diwali . I love this festival of lights. I have to admit though being far away from home(India) its very hard to feel the spirit of Diwali here. We still try to do the best we can as we want our kids to know our culture, our festivals and the significance of it.
So in keeping with the festivities made besan ladoos for Diwali. For me personally Diwali is not complete without ladoos. Maybe because my mom always made these and I love them. So making these ladoos brings India(and all my childhood memories) right into my kitchen.
- 1 1/2 cups besan (gram/chickpea )flour
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3/4 cup ghee (Clarified butter)
- 1/4 cup raisins and broken cashews (fried in ghee)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder( freshly ground)
- crushed pistachios (optional)
- Heat ghee in a pan (thick bottom preferred). When the ghee is melted and you see tiny bubbles add the besan and keep roasting on a slow flame. The intention is to keep roasting till you no longer get the raw smell of besan. (takes about 15 minutes). Also it will be a little pasty in appearance and your kitchen will be filled with the aroma of the roasted besan/chickpea flour.
- Now take it to a big bowl and add the sugar, fried nuts and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- Wait for a few minutes till the mixture cools down a little just enough so that you can make them into ladoos. Take a little of the mixture into your hands and form them into small balls.
- This recipe makes 15 Besan ladoos.