Moong dal ka Halwa is a winter dessert. Its a Rajasthani dessert and its prepared during winter as it keeps you warm from the bitter cold. Since we are already experiencing the bitter cold here in the East Coast ..what better time to make this dessert.
- 1 cup yellow moong dal
- 1 cup ghee/clarified butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- cashews fried in ghee
* You could add 1 cup sugar instead of 3/4 cup. Adjust the sugar to your liking.
- Soak moong dal in about 3 cups water for 4 hours.
- Drain the dal and grind it. (It does grind well without any water, if you really have to and find it difficult to grind , add very little water).
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan and saute this dal paste till its golden brown. This should be done on medium to low heat and keep on stirring continuously or it will get burnt. This step took me almost 40 minutes.
- In another pan warm the milk and add sugar. Heat till the sugar melts.
- Now add this milk/sugar to the dal and stir it well. Keep it on low heat till the liquid is all absorbed and it has the consistency of halwa.
- Add the fried cashews. Stir well. Cook for another minute.
- Your Delicious Moong Dal Halwa is ready to serve.
- This recipe serves 4.