These cupcakes were made for my younger son's Valentine's day party at his preschool. I really enjoyed making them and my son was very happy too. He loves nature and when I said how about I decorate them with roses he was excited. I'm a bit late with this post but I wanted to share the process of making decorative roses for your cupcakes. I hope this post helps. Maybe you could make them for your next years Valentine's day or maybe just for yourself whenever you are in a mood for them..After all who can say no to such delectable delights !!!
For the cupcakes- This recipe makes 24 mini cupcakes.
- 1 + 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
For the decorated roses
- 16 oz box of Betty Crocker's Rich and Creamy white frosting
- Wilton's tip #2D
- food colors of your choice
- Disposable pastry bag(s)
For the Mini Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F (180 degree C). Line the muffin/cupcake pan with the cupcake liners.
- Sieve together all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt and keep aside in a bowl.
- Add sugar and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil , beaten eggs and chocolate chips. Mix until all ingredients are blended.
- Pour into the prepared cupcake pan and bake in the preheated oven for about 12-14 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before decorating them to your liking.
For the decorated Roses
- Tint the frosting with the food color of your choice. I have used Wilton's pink and yellow colors. I have decorated half the cupcakes with the yellow roses and half with pink. So I tinted half the frosting with yellow and the rest with the pink color.
- First you begin by cutting off the tip of the pastry bag.( You will need to cut depending upon the decorating tip you are going to use). Then Insert the tip#2D into the pastry bag. Fill it with the frosting using a spatula upto about 3/4th of the bag and leave some room so as to be able to twist the bag and secure it.
- Now hold the pastry bag between your fingers and thumb. Applying pressure squeeze the frosting and start making the roses by starting at the center of the cupcake and going around it. It might need a little practice before you make them onto the cupcakes. But I found this is the easiest way to make roses and the cupcakes look so beautiful.