This is an easy soup to make with all ingredients available in your pantry. Now I would presume that Potato is an universally loved vegetable. Every cuisine has some use for this wonderful vegetable. Did you know that Potatoes are the world's fourth largest food crop, following rice, wheat and maize. Well how do you think I know, just read it at our valuable and reliable source which is Wikipedia. Read More about potatoes here.
Also the Irish Potato Soup has a lot of variations. Some use celery and leeks in the soup as well.Ingredients:
- 4-5 medium size potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 cup red onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped
- small piece of ginger
- 1-2 green chillies chopped (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- freshly crushed black pepper
- salt to taste
- 5-6 cups vegetable stock or water
- Heat butter in a thick bottomed pan. Add the Bay leaves. Then Saute the onions ,garlic and ginger till about golden brown.
- Add the green chillies and diced potatoes. Fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock/water . Season with salt and pepper and cook covered for about 25 -30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Now carefully remove the bay leaves and puree the rest in a Blender.
- Transfer it back to the pan and add milk and stir it well. Let it simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning. Ready to serve. This recipe serves 4.