I had heard about Pineapple Halwa but never attempted to make this at home and also had never tasted one. Gajar ka halwa/ Carrot Halwa being my favorite. But always had a desire to try making pineapple halwa. This opportunity came quickly as about half a pineapple made its presence felt everytime I opened my refrigerator. We had used half of it for making Raita and used it also in the black bean salad. But we still had some left. So I set out to make this halwa for the very 1st time and I was happy. Its delicious and just melts into your mouth. I'm sure this halwa is going to be a regular at our house.
- 3 cups Pineapple finely chopped/grated
- 1/4 cup clarified butter/ghee
- 3/4 cup sugar *
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup Milk / Mava powder
- 1/3 cup cashews and slivered pistachios
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan / kadai. Fry the cashews and pistachios. Keep them aside. In the same pan add the grated pineapple along with its juice. Fry for about 4-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Now add 1/2 cup whole milk and mix it well. Cover and let it cook on low-medium heat until all the milk is absorbed. This takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Add sugar and mix it well. Add the milk / mava powder and stir well making sure it does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Add the fried nuts. Let it cook on slow flame until the halwa/pudding starts to leave the side of the pan.Turn off the flame.
- Your Pineapple Halwa is ready to be served. Its best enjoyed warm or at room temperature.
- This recipe serves 4.