These ladoos are a must try if you haven't tasted these Poha ladoos. Like me you will be mesmerized and surprised as I was myself, the foodie that I am. I was surprised as to how easy it was to make them and loved the texture and crunch . It did not feel like it was Poha. Poha being a staple in my pantry, how come it took me so long to make these little delectable delights. But as they say its "Better to be late than never ". I had recently heard about these ladoos from my mother in law. So decided to give it a try for Ganesh Chaturthi.
Since it was a big hit at my house , I'm surely going to make them again for Diwali. If you are like me then I know you don't really need an occasion or excuse to make these. I suggest just make them whenever you feel like and see for yourself whether what I'm bragging about these ladoos is true or not. Would love to hear from you. In my house these ladoos barely made it to the next day. My 9 year old came back from school yesterday and asked me "Mommy can you make more of those Poha ladoos ?." That's what I'm about to make today.
- 2 cups thick Poha/Aval /flattened Rice flakes
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup warm unsalted butter/ghee
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds fried in 1 tbsp butter/ghee
- Dry Roast Poha / Rice flakes on medium heat till they change color to a beautiful golden brown. Then take it off the heat and grind. Keep it aside. Make sure its medium to low heat as the Poha burns very easily.
- Fry the chopped almonds in about 1 tbsp butter /ghee. Keep it aside as well.
- Now you have to just mix all the ingredients in a bowl - dry roasted Poha , fried nuts, sugar and warm butter/ghee. Shape them immediately into ladoos. Just take a little of this mix into your palms and shape them into round ladoos. Its good to make them immediately. If the mix dries up a little, DO NOT PANIC just add about 1 tbsp warm butter and resume. That's it.
- This recipe yields 11 ladoos. They are so irresistibly good that I'm afraid you will have no leftovers. If you do then just store them in an air tight container and they are good for a week.