Home | About Me | Recipe Index |

Friday, March 15, 2013

Chole Saag - Chickpeas with Broccoli Rabe

You can call me one sneaky mom when it comes to incorporating not so desirable but highly nutritious  vegetables into my kids favorite dishes.  Broccoli Rabe is a great source of Vitamins A, C and K. Also has Potassium, Calcium and Iron. 

 I have been thinking of creative and delicious ways to cook Broccoli Rabe. Even though it has Broccoli in its name , it is no way related to the Broccoli vegetable. The leaves do surround a cluster of  small buds which resemble small heads of Broccoli.     



 I first heard about this green leafy vegetable on the  Rachael Ray Show and since then haven been waiting for an opportunity to cook it. I must say that its an acquired taste and does have a bitter flavor so I thought of adding it to a classic dish such as Chole Masala / Chickpea Masala would make it at least palatable and appealing to my kids. This trick worked.  Since we all LOVE chole at our house and its requested at least once a week, I was ready to try this beautiful leafy vegetable with my Chole recipe.  I made some Jeera Khulcha (Cumin Flatbread) which complimented my dish so well and my Chickpeas with Broccoli Rabe can now be a regular at my house.

 Here's the recipe from Sadhna Ginde for the Khulchas which I have tried and they were so soft and perfect.   






Ingredients :
  • 1 cup boiled chickpeas /  8 oz can Chickpeas
  • 1/2 bunch Broccoli Rabe chopped (2 1/2 cups)
  • 1 red onion minced
  • 2-3 green chillies minced
  • 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
  • 1 cup tomato puree
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp red chili powder
  • 1 tbsp coriander-cumin powder
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice(optional)
  • 1/4 cup cream (optional)
* If you do not find Broccoli Rabe, you can substitute any leafy vegetable of your choice (Spinach , Mustard greens, Collard greens, Escarole etc)



Preparation:
  • Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. Add cumin seeds. When they splutter, add the ginger-garlic paste. Saute for a minute then add the minced onion. Let it turn golden brown on medium flame. When you no longer get the raw onion smell, its time for the tomato puree and the minced green chillies. Stir it well. Let it cook until the oil  comes up (its an indication that its cooked).
  •  Now add the dry spices (turmeric, red chili powder, cumin-coriander powder and salt). Mix it well. Add the boiled chickpeas. Let it cook covered for about 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped Broccoli Rabe. Mix it well. Cook covered until the Broccoli Rabe is wilted and looks well incorporated. Now add 1/4 cup cream(optional). Let it cook for another couple minutes. Take it off the heat and add freshly squeezed lime juice. Mix it well. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.   

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a hearty meals, I can live with that:) Very healthy and innovative dish, Dolly.

    Its been a while...looks like I have a lot to catch up on your blog.

    I have moved my blog to a new domain: www.kitchentantantras.com

    So, until everyone are going to get used to this new site, I am going to spam the comments section...pardon me:)
    http://kitchentantras.com/masala-pori-just-killing-time/

    http://kitchentantras.com/thalapakattu-biriyani/

    http://kitchentantras.com/my-favorite-song-a-tribute-to-food-lovers/

    http://kitchentantras.com/dinner-and-a-movie-famous-food-movies-list/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and innovative recipe. Loved the clicks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, I love this combo!

    ReplyDelete