Wishing you all a very Happy New Year.
What better way to begin the new year other than with this lip-smacking and delicious dessert !!! Badam kheer or almond kheer is best enjoyed during winter in India. The consistency is not as thick as Rice Kheer or Semiya Kheer (Seviyan). You could also call it Badam Milk - Almond and Cardamom infused Milk. Traditionally they use Saffron. It gives it a beautiful color and makes it more exotic. Since I did not have saffron, I have used grated carrot for that beautiful color and perhaps making it healthier in the process.
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup almonds(Badam)
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup sugar
- handful broken cashews
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp Ghee/unsalted butter
- Soak the almonds in boiling hot water for about 10-15 minutes and peel them. (Be very careful here as to not burn yourself with the hot water).
- Next grind the grated carrot and peeled almonds to a paste. Use 1/4 cup milk as well. This makes the grinding much easier.
- In a thick bottomed pan /Kadai melt the ghee and fry the cashews. Next add the almond/carrot paste. Fry on low-medium heat for about a minute. Now add the remaining milk. Bring it to a boil on medium flame. Add sugar and cardamom powder. Let it simmer on low heat for about 6-8 minutes.
- Badam aur Gajar Ki Kheer is ready to be served. This could be served warm or chilled. It just tastes divine either way.