Though I have a few chocolate cake recipes on my blog, I always get requests for recipes of Eggless Cakes. So I'm always on the lookout for new recipes. This recipe which I tried from Joy the baker is a keeper . I loved the cake and the fact that it uses Avocado and unless someone told you wouldn't even know it has avocado. It just so happened that I had a couple Avocados, and I was looking for a cake recipe and this is what I found. This is a great cake for Valentine's Day ! I would even fill and frost it with chocolate ganache. I'm still not too sure about the Avocado butter cream yet. Maybe someday , I might give it a try. Until then enjoy this almost guilt free treat.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt *
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado( about 1 medium Avocado)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
* The recipe calls for 1/2 tsp salt, I cut it by half. She has used Avocado Butter cream frosting and I have frosted my cake with chocolate butter cream frosting. These are the only changes I have made.
- Preheat Oven to 350 degree F . Grease and flour two 8"or 9" round pans.
- In a big bowl Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa together and keep it aside.
- In a another bowl add oil, water, the mashed avocado,vinegar and Vanilla extract. Mix it well. Add sugar and whisk it well.
- Now add the wet mix to the dry and whisk it until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the greased cake pans. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool for about 15 minutes. Then invert them onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- This cake can be enjoyed as is or you could frost and fill it with the icing of your choice. I have used Chocolate butter cream. Joy the Baker has frosted her cake with Alton Brown's Avocado Butter cream frosting.