Home | About Me | Recipe Index |

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Shalgam Aur Mutter Ki Subzi - Turnip And Peas Subzi

This reminds me of my childhood when mom made this subzi. I couldn't resist buying it on my  visit to the  local produce market. When I saw these fresh turnips I had to buy them. Many a times I'm guilty of impulse buying. But I'm glad I bought these and made Shalgam Aur Mutter Ki Subzi for my family. This gave me an opportunity to share a few memories from my childhood with my kids. Also I made this Subzi in my cast iron skillet and the taste was  phenomenal.




Ingredients:

  • 4 medium Turnips(Shalgam) washed , peeled and cubed
  • 1 cup frozen peas 
  • 2-3 green chillies slit lengthwise
  • 1 large tomato chopped
  • 1" ginger grated
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp red chili powder  
  • 1 tbsp Coriander-cumin powder
  • salt to taste
  • oil
For the garnish
  • freshly chopped Cilantro
  • 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice 



Preparation : Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, when they splutter add ginger ,chopped tomatoes and slit chillies. Fry for about 2 minutes. Then add the dry spices (turmeric, red chilli, coriander-cumin powder, salt). Give it a good stir. Add the cubed turnips. Mix it well. Add about 1/4 cup water and let it cook covered on medium heat till its almost cooked (8-10 minutes).Do check it from time to time and stir it as well. Add the frozen peas and mix it well.  Cook covered till the turnips are fully cooked.(About 4-5 minutes). Take it off the heat and add lime juice. Mix it well. Garnish with freshly chopped Cilantro. Serve with Phulkas ,Roti  or Parathas.  Could be served as a side dish along with dal and rice as well. This recipe serves 4-6. 


5 comments:

  1. i like this combination looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. its hard for me to come up with chapathy side dish, this would surely be one of my side dish, in any of the coming weeks. Thanx, looks yum.
    http://houseofspice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this combo especially in winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was very tasty, my in-laws really loved it. Perfect recipe.

    ReplyDelete