Adai is a healthy protein packed option for breakfast , lunch , dinner or maybe snack. These Dosa/Crêpes are very versatile and can be served with Chutney, Sambhar, Jaggery and even Ketchup.
In fact if truth be known, I heard about the existence of Adai dosa after I was married and learnt how to make them from my MIL. Since its so nutritious and I have a picky eater in my 5 year old kid, this has become a regular now. Though I have to admit I still love my regular dosa (Rice/urad dal), but once in a while I enjoy these Adai as well. My Kids enjoy them with ketchup or Mulaga Podi(chutney powder). Me and my hubby love our chutney. My MIL enjoys her Adai with jaggery which was a little surprising to me as well. Yes, I wasn't aware of this combination. But believe me it does taste divine, hot adai just off the griddle with jaggery. My FIL loves it with Mulaga Podi. So there you go everyone is happy.
If you have some leftover batter just refrigerate it and use it when required. The batter is good for up to 5 days.
- 1 cup Rice *
- 1/4 cup Urad dal/Split Black gram
- 1/4 cup Tuvar/toor/split pigeon peas
- 1/4 cup Chana dal/Bengal gram dal
- 1/4 cup Whole green moong/moong bean
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida(Hing)
- 2-3 whole red chilies
- 1 green chilli
- 1" ginger
- Wash and Soak the rice and lentils/dal in about 4-5 cups water for 4 hours. Soak the red chilies with it too. Drain the water and grind the rice/lentils coarsely along with the red chilies, green chilli and ginger. Just add enough water for grinding. The consistency of the batter should be like pancake batter. Now add salt and asafoetida. Mix it well.
- Heat a Dosa Tawa or griddle. Keep it on medium heat. Now take a ladleful of the batter and pour onto the Tawa/griddle. Now using your ladle spread the batter in a circular motion. You can make the crêpes as thick or thin as you desire. I like mine to be medium thick. Traditionally they are a little on the thicker side. Apply some oil around the Adai. When its cooked turn it and let it cook on the other side as well. Continue making the Adai in the same manner.
- Your Adai is ready to be served. This recipe yields 16-18 medium size Adai Dosa.